Thursday, October 12, 2006

It Doesn't Matter Who's Got The Light If You're Not On The Corner...

This is an expression that Dad borrowed from Doug and The Slugs – when I was young I thought it was talking about a flashlight, but later I figured out that it was talking about lighting a cigarette – either way the message(s) is(are) the same.

One way to look at this would be the old “To each their own” sort of message – where something that has no bearing on your situation, isn’t worth your worry

or spun more positively – where half the battle is just showing up, that we should all Endeavour to be on that metaphorical corner, so that we can all concern ourselves with who brought the flashlight, and where that light is leading us. Maybe we should all strive to be the one with the light, leading the way, lending a hand, but if we think that this role is beyond ourselves we should at least be there, living life to the fullest – waiting for direction. Maybe if we aren't open to a new idea, we'll miss out on something, I strongly dislike missing out on things...

1 comment:

awareness said...

Yeah..........I strongly dislike missing out on things too! Your post nailed my sentiments exactly...I feel like I have been moved off the corner!!! I'm down an alleyway or something when I should be keeping tabs on the traffic at the corner (behind the reception area where I can shine my light)
However, you are also right......part of living and learning is just to show up. If you don't show up, then you will definately miss out. So, I'm showing up at my new post....my new corner and it looks like I best be starting a game of flashlight tag around here!
Enjoy your weekend........I'll drop by sometime today.