Friday, November 10, 2006

Land of The Long White Cloud...

Wanderlust - I know I've talked about it before, it runs rampant in my family - kinda. anyways to that end Megs is in New Zealand(Aotearoa) , not the new part of Zealand, just past Burtt's Corner, the country. She has gone down there to meet up with Katie her sister from another mother, best friend. They've also joined forces, it is reported, with the Pride of Taymouth - Kendra and are taking on the North Island as I post.

I actually went to New Zealand, in 1994, it was quite an adventure - New Zealand is rugby heaven - they love the game there and it is everywhere, like hockey here during the playoffs - I played for a club called Ponsonby RFC - they were great to me. I got to play with some future All Blacks (Carlos Spencer), Samoan national team players (Darren Kellett) and a Soap Opera Star (Rene Naufahu). I just looked up Rene and he's also been in the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies - way to go Rene.

You learn alot about yourself while travelling, I think mainly because you are alone with your thoughts- at least most of the time. You also get to be the person that you sometimes wish you were - because no one from your life is there to tell you what you are, so you surround yourself with fast friends that think you can do whatever it is you want to do, simply because you told them you could - What freedom.

I watched a show the other night that was all about negative self talk, and how damaging it can be to one's self - it was very powerful, and I was glad that I've always had my own back. otherwise I would never have been able to go Bungee Jumping at Taupo, or into the Black Abyss - an underground Caving experience where you absail down a underground waterfall - I have/had a fear of heights, which I conqured at least for those two days , so it was all very awesome.

I know that Meghan and her band of giggling sillies are having a great time, They could have a great time in the Geary woods - so why would I expect anything less from them in The Land of the Long White Cloud - Kia Ora...

1 comment:

awareness said...

Nothing has ever compared to the feeling of freedom, both personally and materially while backpacking through Europe for me.
I also found too.....the "fast friends".......every conversation seemed to start at a much deeper level. I don't know whether it was the knowledge and understanding that we shared similar personality traits and interests (just from our desire to travel)......but I often found myself in a heartfelt connection with someone whom I had just met.

Then again.........it coulda been the beer.......and the wine....and possibly the whiskey......it coulda.