Monday, July 24, 2006

I Think It's Gone...

When I was growing up, every second Friday was very special, aside from being pay day, I assume, it was the day when the MacAfees (Sometimes the Paceys) went to the Cabin Restaurant - What a great spot, if you got there early you could get a booth, if not you had to sit at the back by the window or up at the counter. Anyways back to the booth - it was awesome - you could play 3 songs for a Quarter - nothing new, but they had a great selection from the late 60's and Early 70's - It was a very nice treat, and we'd all sit around and talk about what kind of week we had - then the waitress ( I think her name was April) would come over and she would say "The Usual?" to which we'd answer yes - My usual was always a Hot Turkey Sandwich with Gravy on the fries and peas on the side with a Chocolate Milkshake. I love the food at the Cabin - I still do, I don't go as often, maybe a couple of times a year - Grease For Peace...

But I digress the title expression comes from from Malcolm when, at the end of my chocolate milkshake I was trying, with my straw, to slurp every last ounce of goodness out of those old tin milkshake cups - Malcolm would look at me and politely say - I think it's gone. I would laugh - he was correct. The best was when you forgot that you had left some in the tin cup.

Working on a message that you could get out of this Malcolmism was tough - it was buried deep under Gravy, French Fries, 60's Music and meals with our parents, but here is it - Appreciate things, appreciate people and live in the moment and for the moment - All these things come and go, and sooner or later there gone, so you should try to suck them dry when you have the chance - and sometimes if you're really lucky there will be a little more in that Tin Cup...

No comments: