Thursday, March 02, 2006

No Brighter than a Big Hen...

This is one of the expressions that I find myself saying quite a bit - I'm Lactose Intolerant - which doesn't mean I Hate Milk - it means that my system has a problem breaking down the ensymes in milk products - I think (I'd have to check with Mom, she's the Biologist) - anyways this afternoon I ordered a clubhouse sandwich, hold the tomatoes (I am Tomato Intolerant), but add cheese - I thought nothing of it - so then again at supper (S&B Pork Chops and Baked Potatoes) I decide that I'm going to have a glass of milk - I look over and Nic is shaking her head at me - I thought to myself "No Brighter than a Big Hen" - Anyways I got thinking about it, why such a big chicken, and why is a big chicken smarter than a normal sized chicken - all good questions - I think the beauty in this expression lies in the way it rolls off your tongue - and the universal knowledge that chickens can't be all that intelligent, afterall they are food.

I got to thinking of this expression this afternoon - I was thinking about my uncle, who after a night out came home, sans keys and being respectful of the hour of his arrival decided to sneak his way into his room - his room as luck would have it was on the second floor, and the ladder that was in the back yard was a few feet shorter (about 7) and a few years older than he required, so as everyone knows, your IQ is at it's peak late at night, so he decided that he would bridge the distance required by using various backyard items - the plan was flawless, but as he got to the very top of the ladder (The Old Ladder) a rung gave way, which led to a chain reaction of breaking rungs and the ladder slipped off it's perch, going through the bathroom window - As the story goes he put a plan B into full effect and crawled in the basement window, and was found by my Grandfather, leaning on the stairs whistling.

I love this story - shows that I come from a long line of silly people, natural problem solvers that tend to see the possibilty in any situation and gladly accept the consequences- leaning on the stairs smiling, let's see a big hen do that...

No comments: