Friday, March 17, 2006

You Take the High Road...


The name Macfie derives from its older version MacDuffie which is itself derived from the Gaelic "MacDubhSithe" meaning 'Son of the Dark Fairy or Elf'. This stems from the tradition that the MacFie's had been in touch with the fairy folk that lived under the hills and in many countries the remnants of the original bearers of the name have been conferred with mystic powers. Tradition asserts that the Macfies/MacDuffies are descended from a Selkie or seal woman who cast off her fur to become a beautiful woman and marrying the first Macfie who hid her fur so that she could not return to the sea.

Now that is a good story - It is St. Patrick's day and usually I would be getting ready to go to the Rogue to sit in the corner and enjoy my heritage - but today is the due date of the newest Dark Faerie - and we are anxious and excited all at once. I am wearing the green and supporting the cause by cranking up the Irish music in my office - but I'm a bundle of nerves as I wait for THE CALL - Hopefully I'll be able to introduce our little one to the world later today.
St. Patrick's day has been a special day in my family for some time, my Grandfather passed away on St. Patrick's Day in 1992, my Grandmother passed away last year - I'll be heading down to see them later today.

May your glass be ever full.

May the roof over your head be always strong.

And may you be in heaven a half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

No comments: