Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Couldn't Buy a Sick Whore an Orange...



This expression comes to mind every second Wednesday, as every second Thursday is Pay Day - this is an expression about being sans funds, monetarily challenged or simply broke.

This is one of the most visual expressions that Malcolm uses, it is also one of the most puzzling, for the following reasons:

1- Why are you buying something for a whore?, let alone a sick whore
2- What does the whore want with the orange? Vitamin C?
3- How much could an orange possibly cost?

These are the questions that arise in my mind everytime I hear this expression.

I think there has to be something more to this expression, maybe it got shortened over the years - maybe there was a second half that answered some of the above questions - maybe the entire thing is about charity - the fact that you have no money, but if you did you would spend it on buying an orange for the downtrodden, I don't know but what I do know is that, it's fun to say and makes me smile every time I hear it.

Orange you glad I didn't say Banana...

No comments: