Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Like Two People Tied Together...


Dad uses this expression to describe a person that is very large - so large in fact that the person more resembles two people that were somehow bound together. This is just a funny expression nothing deep about it at all.

Dad actually used this expression last night - followed by another "Looks like a Professional Wrestler", but the person that Dad most uses this expression about is his oldest Brother Jim.

Big Jim, as he's known to the residents of Truro, is my uncle - he's a larger than life man - as a child I can remember him picking me up with one hand under my arm and lifting me up so that my head would touch the ceiling. He's recovering from knee surgury and doing very well - He has two awesome Daughters, a fantastic wife and a very cute granddaughter.

There is a story that "back in the day" the bars in Truro used to call Jim and Marie before they called the cops, when a brawl broke out in their bar. My favorite "Uncle Jimmy" story is one that occured at the UNB Student Union Building, there was a post rugby reception so everyone was on their best behaviour, except for this one guy who took a shine to Marie, when she refused his advances he got mouthy, and in an attempt to prevent Jimmy from ending his evening Marie and he went outside. The guy inside grew braver on account of the pane of glass and was being quite rude. Jimmy had enough and the next time that this guy put his face to the window Jimmy punched him through it - knocked him out and shattered the glass (I don't know how much fact there is behind this feat, but it's an awesome story regardless)

The above picture is of Dad and Jim at my parents wedding.

So I guess you could also use that expression for someone who almost had too much personality to simply be just one man.

No comments: