Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Time to Climb the Wooden Mountain...


This wouldn't make much sense without some context - Dad must have told me this a hundred thousand times as I was growing up - It was a nice and adventurous way of saying go to bed. What got me thinking about this one is the fact that it's January 25th, it's dark when you wake up, it's dark when you get home - I just feel like sleeping all the time, it's quite the effort to get myself off the couch, bed, chair

I go to bed around 9:30 every night, I would watch TV until 10:30 or 11, but there doesn't seem much worth watching these days. I enjoy Lost, 24, ER, The Office and My Name is Earl - That's about it, maybe a Law and Order SVU if it's not a rerun.

When I was young I had to go to bed at 7 or 8, at least that's how I remember it, it was probably later, but for this story let's say 7pm - every now and then on special occasions dad would wake me up, and get me to come downstairs to watch Kung Fu - starring David Carradine - I thought that it was the middle of the night, it was most likely 9 or 10pm - but I remember the excitement - I still get up lots through the night, to let the dogs out, and I guess that with a new baby on the way that's just the beginning.

I wonder if dad was actually goal setting for me all those times, because if you shrink a mountain down to a set of stairs, a very do-able goal - who knows what goals you could set and accomplish? Or maybe helping me work on my imagination, imagine the dreams you could dream if you just climbed a mountain? Those both seem way too deliberate - he was just probably trying to get me to bed so he could lay down on the couch...

It's only 9am, but I'm already thinking about Climbing that Mountain...

1 comment:

awareness said...

Goals are so much more attainable if one lives in a bungalow. I still want to meet your Dad.